Goecha-La is one of the elites and well-known trekking trails in Sikkim. Also known as the “Gateway to Kanchenjunga Mountains”, the highlight of this trek is the up-close for a spectacular view of the mighty Mt. Khangchendzonga resting at a height of 8596m.
Table of contents:
- About Mountain Adventure
- Trek Itinerary
About Mountain Adventure
Mountain Adventure is one of the premier tour and travel agencies in Darjeeling that is famous for its Goecha La trek package.
Here is the itinerary for our Goecha La trek Package:
DAY 1: Yuksom to Bakhim
- It is a steep uphill walk along the Rathong River’s gorge through the mixed jungle full of magnolia, rhododendron, ferns and several varieties of orchids along with brightly coloured birds.
- We reach Paha Khola Bridge after an hour and a swimming spot by a waterfall after two hours.
- Stop for lunch along the stream.
- Walk 2-3 hours to arrive at the lodge at Bakhim
- You can either stay at the tourist hotel or camp in tents
DAY 2: Bakhim to Tshoka
- A steep hour-long climb brings you to Tshoka, a tiny hamlet from where you can first spot the mountains.
- Overnight at trekkers hut/tent
DAY 3: Tsokha to Dzongri
- It is another short day's walk as we tread above the 4,000-meter mark.
- We will set up camp by lunchtime and you can spend a relaxed afternoon acclimatizing.
- Dzongri also offers you the most fascinating close-up view of the Khangchendzonga Mountain and other Himalayan peaks.
DAY 4: Explore Dzongri
- Rest day at Dzongri, to explore and acclimatize.
DAY 5: Dzongri to Thangshing
- We ascend the open hillside and move the downhill steep route towards Thangshing.
- Overnight camping
DAY 6: Thangshing to Lamuney
- A short walk from Thangshing to Lamuney
- Overnight camping
DAY 7: Lamuney to Goecha La pass to Lamuney
- An early start to the day to beat the inclement weather conditions that are common during the latter part of the day.
- You walk past the Zemathang Plateau and reach a point where you can rest at a glaciated lake.
- From then on it is an hour’s worth of walk to Goecha La pass.
- We tread across the lake and proceed across a slope, and then on a well-trodden path to our objective, which is decorated with brightly coloured prayer flags to witness the east flank of Khangchendzonga and the stunning mountains and valleys.
- Overnight camping.
Please note that you are only allowed to trek till 1st View Point. The Forest Department restricts the permit for you to travel beyond this 1st point as of now.